We are excited and proud to host a Marching Illini and Division of Intercollegiate Athletics tradition – the University of Illinois Band Day! All high school band programs in the state of Illinois are invited and welcome to attend. This exciting event allows high school students from across the state to interact, rehearse, and perform with the Nation’s Premier College Marching Band – The Marching Illini as well as the Faculty and Staff from the University of Illinois Bands in historic Memorial Stadium!
Registration is now open. Click HERE to register today.
Welcome to the 2017 University of Illinois Band Day! We are excited you plan to join us on Saturday, September 2, 2017. Please read the following instructions to help facilitate the organization of this event. On this page, you will find information regarding the day’s schedule, parking, seating, placement on the field, and additional general information.
Much of the information on this page is from 2016. As we confirm kick off time, adjustments will be made to the schedule and logistics. Thank you so much!
BAND DAY 2016 PARTICIPANTS
- Argenta-Oreana High School
- Bismarck-Henning High School
- Cary-Grove High School
- Downers Grove North High School
- Eisenhower High School
- Fieldcrest High School
- Galesburg High School
- Gardner South Wilmington High School
- Georgetown Ridge Farm High School
- Johnsburg High School
- Lexington High School
- Litchfield High School
- Manteno High School
- Marshall High School
- Ottawa Township High School
- Pana High School
- Plano High School
- Reed-Custer High School
- Ridgewood High School
- Rochester High School
- Round Lake High School
- Schaumburg High School
- St. Joseph-Ogden High School
- Westville High School
BAND DAY 2016 SCHEDULE
- If you plan to parade over with the Marching Illini, pay attention to your seat assignments
- All Bands entering through Portal 5 will turn right on Peabody during the parade…those assigned to Portal 6 will follow the Marching Illini until we you reach Portal 6
- NO BANDS WILL BE ALLOWED TO ENTER THROUGH THE SOUTH TUNNEL during the parade over to the stadium
- following the Band Day performance, exit the stadium through the south tunnel and head back to your buses or your seats in the stands
- you are more than welcome to change clothes at your buses and then enter through your assigned portal according to the seating assignments below
- you are more than welcome to stay for the rest of the game or you may depart, depending on what is best for you and your students
10:00 PM Game concludes and Bands Dismissed!***Feel free to join us and see the Marching Illini at our Post Game Concert at the Education Building following the game
BAND DAY LOGISTICS 2016
- Band Day Music shared via dropbox for participating bands – please email Professor Houser if you do not have this link
- Guard Demonstration Videos along with count sheets located in dropbox
- Band Day 2016 Field Placement
- Drum Majors of each band will be placed around the perimeter of the field to assist in conducting
- Halftime Instructions
- Leave your seats in the stadium with 7:00 left in the second quarter
- Enter the field level via the South Tunnel of Memorial Stadium
- Once the clock hits 0:00 move immediately to the sideline where you will enter
- Please note that this is also Spirit Squad Day so they will perform first, allowing us ample time to get situated on the sidelines
- Whistle sequence will start the process to bring all bands onto the field (64 counts)
- The opener will be played towards the West Stands
- Following the opener, horns come down for 4 with MT, turn over your left shoulder for 4 counts to face the East Stands, horns come up the last 4 counts
- Following the closer, horns come down in 4, MT over your left shoulder 4.
- Whistles will sound to bring us off the field in 64 counts and then depart through the South Tunnel
- Concession Stands in the stadium will open following rehearsal for All Band Day participants or you may eat anywhere near campus…Green Street
The temperature of Game Day includes a fantastic forecast with high’s in the 70’s. Be certain whatever you decide to wear that you match – full uniform is preferred. The Marching Illini will be dressed in full uniform. Do not wear uniforms to the afternoon rehearsal. There will be time for you to return to your buses to change. Changing facilities will not be provided while on campus.
- Lunch is on your own. You may choose to eat at the Memorial Stadium Concession Stands or eat something on your own. Again, concessions will open at 3:30 PM
- There are water fountains in the stadium and water bottles are available for purchase. The Marching Illini and Division of Intercollegiate Athletics is not able to supply water for you. Please plan ahead for your students.
- Restrooms are located throughout the stadium
- First Aid is available throughout the stadium
- Feel free to visit the concession stands, restrooms, etc. Do not play in the stands, but please cheer on the Illini!
- Please sit in your assigned seats only. Do not “overflow” into adjacent reserved seating sections. Seating information and game tickets will be distributed at check-in based on the numbers you provided.
- The Marching Illini will parade to the Education Building and will perform a post game show following the game. We invite all of you to join us if you are still around after the game concludes. Please know that you may leave anytime after the conclusion of halftime if you choose.
- It is recommended that all bands stay together as much as possible. Students should not be allowed to “roam” the campus by themselves at anytime during the day.
- There is no room in the stands for instrument cases and hat boxes so please plan accordingly. Your buses and equipment trailers will be your storage area.
- Bands should not play anytime around the stadium until it is performance time
- Remember, there are others in the stands that came to watch the game. Be courteous of our patrons and represent your school with a great deal of class and pride.
- Many thanks for bringing your students to what we hope is a truly great day for them
BUS PERMIT, PARKING, & SEATING
- Bus Parking Permit – display these in all of your buses or equipment trucks/trailers
- Traffic Routes
- Memorial Stadium Map
- Memorial Stadium Seating
- Memorial Stadium Seating Assignments (Tickets will be distributed at check-in on Saturday)
All buses and trailers will unload at the corner of Fourth Street and Kirby starting at 1pm. Students and directors will proceed to the South Tunnel entrance into Memorial Stadium…please do not bring uniforms or cases with you to this rehearsal…only what you need for rehearsal
- Please make sure there are no parent vehicles in the bus caravan parked along Pennsylvania – all parents need to park in permit lots notated on the parking map above
Once buses unload they need to take Florida to Lincoln and then to Pennsylvania where they will park between Sixth Street and Dorner Drive (on both sides of the street). Athletic Parking staff will be there to assist in parking the buses. If necessary we will use side streets on Pennsylvania to help with parking. Pennsylvania from Fourth to Sixth will be open so I FUND pass holders can park in the Law Library so be cautious when you return to your buses following rehearsal.
Following halftime or the conclusion of the game, all schools, staff, band members, will load on Pennsylvania